Friday, March 6, 2009

Sir Frederic Burton

Several years ago when the Internet was just gaining in popularity I was "surfing the web" when I came across a painting by Sir Frederic Burton entitled, "The Meeting on the Turret Stairs."

I felt the emotion between the subjects, Hellelil and Hildebrand so strongly that I HAD TO HAVE THIS PAINTING! I had no idea that if I had popped over to http://www.art.com/ I could have purchased a print. 

Oh well. 

I decided to paint one for myself which you see posted here. I used this method to teach myself how to paint (or draw) and I learned a tremendous amount about painting during this time.
I used colored pencil on mat board and added pastel to achieve the darkest values. 

The original of this was painted in watercolor, is approximately 6 feet tall and hangs in the National Gallery of Ireland.

1 comment:

  1. Zelma -- this is one of my favorite paintings, and you did a wonderful job! Beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete